Sunday, March 4, 2007

Swim with Dolphins

1999 Honorable Mention
Confirmed by Darwin
(July 1999, Florida) In Marathon Beach, a guy was fishing with his buddies when he saw fins in the water. "Dolphins!" he thought, and jumped into the water to swim with the dolphins. Surprise! The fins turned out to be shark fins. His buddies fished him out of the ocean, and Mr. One With Nature was treated at a local hospital for shark bites.

Feeding the Dolphins
In a related incident, a reader says, "I'm on active duty in the US Coast Guard, and I was stationed In Destin, Florida in 1995. On routine patrol, I noticed a lady standing in four feet of water, 75 feet from the beach, waving baitfish around. I thought she was feeding the dolphins, which is illegal in Florida, so I pulled up alongside her to advise her of the infraction. I looked down, and realized that the tails on these creatures were moving side-to-side, as opposed to up-and-down like a dolphin. Also, none were coming up for air. This misguided lady was feeding a school of sharks! When she realized she was surrounded by ten sharks, she turned white as a ghost, and jumped into my boat before I knew what had happened! The guys back at the station got a good laugh out of that one. By the way, I was also called out on the case above, called, Swimming With Dolphins.
LINK

2 comments:

Sherry said...

This is lovely! I hope his friends call him "Chum" now. :)

Scooter said...

~Snark!~ "Chum" is a perfect name for him, Sherry. :)