Saturday, March 10, 2007

"We are all well. I slept in a little this morning"

I've always been interested in the everyday lives of the ancients.

"We are all well. I slept in a little this morning because I have a slight cold...After lunch we spent some time picking grapes; we worked up a good sweat, but had fun shouting jokes to one another, and, as some poet has said, "we left a few clusters (too high to reach) as survivors of the vintage." Later in the afternoon we returned home. I did a little scholarly research, but not very well. Then I had a long chat with my dear mother who came in and sat on the edge of my bed. I asked her, "What do you think my friend Fronto is doing right now?" And she asked me, "What do you think my friend Gratia is doing?" And then I asked, "What do you think sweet little Gratia is doing?" While we were chatting away and gossiping and playfully arguing about which of us two loved which of you three best, the gong sounded to let us know that my father had gone to take his bath."
--A letter from Marcus Aurelius to his friend and tutor, Fronto
LINK

No comments: